Family Meals For Under $5 - Shepherd's Pie




Lately I've noticed parts of my weekly grocery circulars that read "feed a family of 4 for under $ 10!". I'm sure most of you have laughed at it as I did. As a result, I began to wonder what the real cost of dinner for my family of 8? I figured if I kept it below $ 5, I am doing well.


My challenge became what dishes I could come up that are both healthy and delicious (my family does not like beans) and cost me $ 5 or less. It includes all the main dish and side dish.


for the $ 5 dinner here is a classic, shepherds pie. I like this recipe because it is fast and versatile. You can vary the vegetables for soup and a different twist. I've tried cream of chicken soup with broccoli and tomato soup and green beans. Again I was thrown from the lettuce. I usually do this on nights when I just do not know what to cook or if I have a meeting, because it is really quick to make.


Shepherd's Pie


pounds ground beef 1 = $ 1.46 GBP
1 sm onion (£ 5 bags for 99c) = 0.02
1 10.5oz can cream of mushroom soup = 0.50
16 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables, wash = $ 1.18 (not on sale)
8 potatoes @ 0.06 c = 0.48 each
1 c grated cheddar cheese (2 pounds loaf of @ Costco for 3.99) = 0.38


tossed green salad


1 / 2 head romaine lettuce = 0.65
1 carrot, shredded = 0.09
1 Roma tomato, diced = 0.15


Total = $ 4.91


In the medium pot cook monitors, peeled and quarter potatoes until tender. Meanwhile brown ground beef and chopped onion until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender. Season well. Add cream of mushroom soup and mixed veggis. Stir to mix well. Place in 13 x 9 baking dish. Mash the potatoes and spread on top of meat mixture. Bake in oven at 350 for 25 min. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake another 5 minutes or until melted.


After that, all my calculations, I figured this dish cost less than five dollars. I do not even take into account in the garden where we grow our own food instead of buying it. However, it just goes to show that it is possible to feed your family a healthy meal for under $ 5.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

How to Follow a Gout Diet - Foods to Eat to Stop the Pain of Gout

What's the best way to carve a chicken?

Why are some chickens yellow skinned and some white?